Meet the Board
Dr. Byron Colley
Dr. Joey Boaen
Marshall Davis III
Dr. Brad Durham
About the Board of Trustees
Board of Trustees
The Habersham Board of Trustees ensures Habersham’s mission and vision are protected and executed. The Board provides strategic direction for the school and equips the Head of School with the necessary resources to accomplish its mission. The Board meets regularly with the Head of School, the board’s one employee, to establish priorities, monitor outcomes, and set overall school policy.
Composition of the Board
The Board of Trustees is made up of servant leaders who volunteer their time and talents to advance the mission of The Habersham School. In their fiduciary capacity, trustees serve as ambassadors, policy-makers, and guardians of the school’s mission. Each Trustee must demonstrate a devotion to Christ as their personal Lord and Savior and a passion for Habersham’s mission. The Board is a diverse group that represents a broad range of professional and leadership expertise, providing Habersham with valuable insights and strategic direction. Additionally, Board members are current parents, alumni parents, or Savannah community members.
Role of the Board
Like other leading Christian schools, and consistent with the standards for Habersham’s accreditation, the Board of Trustees is a governing, policy-making board but does not have direct oversight or involvement in the day-to-day management of the school. The Board depends on the Head of School and other staff and faculty to execute operational functions, including the day-to-day operation of the school, hiring of personnel, assessing and developing staff, addressing all student and personnel issues including any disciplinary actions, and developing and managing the curriculum. The Board maintains regular communication with the Habersham Executive Leadership Team and is updated on all key initiatives and issues, but the day-to-day management and decisions are the responsibility of Habersham’s leadership team.
- Hire, support, evaluate, and oversee the Head of School.
- Advise and approve annual goals and priorities for the Head of School and leadership team to execute.
- Approve and oversee Habersham’s Annual Budget, including tuition rates and fundraising plans.
- Participate in the development of strategic plans; provide guidance and approve plans.
- Oversee all major policy changes or issues.
- Provide guidance to address operational needs.
- Connect personal networks with Habersham to support development and fundraising efforts.
- Engage effectively and build a collegial working relationship with the Head of School and other board members.
- Publicly profess to be a follower of Jesus Christ, regularly attend a Bible-believing, Christ-centered church, and demonstrate a commitment to grow as a follower of Jesus
- Endorse Habersham’s Creed, doctrinal statements, and morality statements consistent with the school’s bylaws
- Must not be employed by Habersham or be a spouse of a Habersham employee
Trustee candidates are identified by our Governance Committee, screened according to our bylaw qualifications, and voted upon by the full Board. All Trustees serve terms as guided by our bylaws. The Board of Trustees has three officer positions including a President, Secretary, and Treasurer. The full Board convenes four times per year during the school year with the Head of School plus a summer planning session with the Habersham Executive Leadership Team. The Board also invests in its own professional development by participating in various educational seminars during the year, which enhances its capabilities to effectively serve Habersham.
The Board of Trustees has the primary responsibility of ensuring that the school fulfills its Christian educational mission in a sustainable way in agreement with biblical principles, in accordance with the organization’s bylaws and in compliance with applicable laws. The Board of Trustees hires and sets the policies of the school’s Head of School, who exercises the day-to-day management and operational leadership of the school as a whole.
In addition to meeting as a full group of Trustees, the Board has also established various standing and ad hoc committees responsible for working with the Habersham Executive Leadership Team on key initiatives. The committees include a Finance Committee, Governance Committee, Development Committee, Building & Grounds Committee, and Head of School Search & Evaluation Committee. Each of these committees is chaired by a Trustee and includes other Trustees, members of the Habersham leadership team, and Habersham parents. It is also common for these committees to engage other community leaders as they consider various strategic initiatives.